Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Am I okay with being unknown, Part 2.






After writing my last blog entry and re-reading it, I wanted to re-visit this topic.  I have a feeling that I may have offended some people.  Especially those who have felt the sting of "this life" through the senseless and untimely death of a loved one or someone that has been struck with a terminal illness.  I want to apologize if I offended anyone and tell you that I do not believe these types of situations to be God's will.  When I wrote it, I was thinking of my own personal situation and how I wallowed in self-pity for so long before I saw the greater picture and how God was orchestrating events in my life. The following is written by Marcus Borg, a progressive Christian and theologian out in Oregon,

"God Provides, Doesn't Protect

I believe that God is present everywhere, in everything - that the universe is shot through with the radiant presence of God. Thus we are always "in God," even as God is more than the universe.

But to say that God is everywhere and in everything does not mean that God is the cause, directly or indirectly, of everything that happens. To say the obvious, utterly horrible things happen in the world, and with great frequency. To imagine that these somehow fit into the long-term purposes of God is blasphemous. Rather, we are creatures who are able to act (as we often do) in ways contrary to God's purpose and dream.

And more: tragedies like the shootings and deaths at Virginia Tech indicate, in my judgment, that thinking of God as an interventionist is impossible as well as unhelpful. If God could have intervened to stop this (or the Holocaust, or 9/11, or the war in Iraq, or the individual tragedies that never make the news), but chose not to, what kind of sense does that make?

We live in a world still under the sway of "the powers" - powers in individual and collective lives that lead us away from God and God's passion for life on earth.

But in the midst of all this, there is a source of sustenance that can help us in the darkest night. The most concise expression of this that I have heard comes from the late William Sloane Coffin, who died a year ago this month. He said - and I am confident of his "gist," if not his exact words: "God provides maximum support, but minimal protection."

Does God as an interventionist protect us? No. Does God provide a means of support in the midst of our tragedies? Yes."

No comments: