Friday, May 8, 2009

Perseverance versus Endurance

There is a difference.  Endurance implies the ability to "hold on" to the end or completion.  Yet, perseverance implies the ability to "hold on" and succeed in the mission all at the same time. For example, I ran a marathon once and I endured the grueling 26.2 miles.  However, I finished in over 4 hours.  Others who had finished prior to me were probably already at home, showered, and relaxing reading a book.  Perseverance is defined by what we predetermine to be a success.  As my 1st marathon, I just wanted to finish the race.  Therefore, I both endured and persevered.  However, if I had wanted to finish in under 3 hours or come in 3rd place, I would have endured but not persevered.  Okay, enough of the confusing talk.  

My wife and I named our daughter Hannah.  We did so because like the Hannah in the Bible, we want her to be a "worshiper of God."  It means this because the biblical Hannah was barren (sound familiar) and could not have children.  Her husband had another wife and the other wife teased Hannah for her inability to bear children.  It says in 1 Samuel 1:10, "In bitterness of soul Hannah wept much and prayed to the Lord."  Hannah was bitter, but not at God.  That, I believe, is the difference between Hannah and most of the people living today.  I know from my own experience that years before something "snapped", I would blame God when things were not going my way or when I found myself in an unfavorable or painful position.  Yet, we see here that Hannah prayed to God in the midst of her bitterness.  "As she kept on praying to the Lord........"[1 Sam 1:12]  Therefore, I know today that it is okay for me to be bitter or sad.  God does not require us to be any certain way emotionally.  Emotions are emotions, its the thoughts and actions behind those emotions that are of concern to God.   It is okay to be bitter or sad about our circumstances because we live in a fallen world.  Yet, it is this bitterness, loneliness, and sadness that should serve as a catalyst to turn toward God (in thought and action), not away from Him.  

Hannah "prayed without ceasing" [1 Thessa 5:17] and it was credited to her as righteousness.  Now that is what is stated in the Bible about Abraham, but I interpret the birth of Samuel as God crediting her with righteousness. Hannah had promised to give her child to God if God looked upon her with favor, and she did.  After she submitted Samuel to Eli to be a "child of God", God blessed her with 5 more children. [1 Sam 2:21]

So, Hannah persevered!  She knew what she wanted and she received it in God's time, not hers. She received because she asked God, seeked God, and knocked upon His holy door!  That is the key because when things do not happen in my time, I tend to give up and stop praying.  This is a great reminder to keep praying and you will be a winner in all things.  Your faithfulness will be credited to you as righteousness and you will receive blessings far beyond what your finite mind can even comprehend.  

No comments: