Monday, May 11, 2009

Why are we so Forgetful?

When I ask this question, I think of my own personal experience.  How many times has God delivered me up out of horrid personal circumstances, for me to only turn my back on Him?  Yet, this is the story of mankind, isn't it?  We need only hearken back to those oft forgetful Israelites in the desert. The following is from Psalm 106: 12-15."

"Then they believed in his promises and sang his praise.  But they soon forgot what he had done and did not wait for his counsel.  In the desert they gave in to their craving; in the wasteland they put God to the test. So, he gave them what they asked for, but sent a wasting disease upon them."

God gives us free reign to choose Him or everything else our natural hearts desire.  We are even told that God will not force or fight with us over our allegiance.  'he gave them what they asked for.' Disobedience and turning away from God is the struggle we all face.  The 'things of this world' with all of their glimmer and attractiveness pull us away from God.  Yet, time and again these things that seem so beautiful, that seem so attractive, and that seem so filling, turn out to be ugly, unattractive, and completely void of any substance and leave us completely empty inside.  They cannot nor will they ever, completely fill that void, that "God sized"  void that from its name implies that only God can fill!  Disobedience leads to guilt, shame, and remorse.  Those three are a yoke too heavy and burdensome to carry around with us each and every day.  So, let us as take the yoke that Jesus offers us.  His burden is light.  It is a burden that comes from obedience to Him, but it pales in comparison to the "hell on earth" existence if we continue living a life enslaved to sin.  

And God will love and return His favor to you.  The following Psalm has become one of my favorites, Psalm 51:

"Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions.  Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.  For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me." (1-3)
 
"Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me." (10-12)
 
"The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise." (17)

God does not delight in sacrifice (as it is mentioned in the Old Testament) or take pleasure in burnt offerings.  When we come to know God intimately, our hearts and spirits are broken more severely when we disobey.  Yet, it is this disappointment in ourselves that we have failed 'Our Father' that pleases Him.  We will continue to fail in this life, we will never be completely be free from sin, but we will always be welcomed back with loving arms by our Father when he sees our broken spirit.  Therefore, never give up the fight!  We should expect sin to slither its way into our lives (for we all fall short of His glory), but we must never accept it in our hearts and become enslaved to it.  

No comments: